Monday, December 5, 2011

First Weekly Music Monday

Adam Carolla used to do Music Mondays from time to time on 101.1 a few years back.  I always enjoyed it.  I also love nothing more than sharing music amongst my friends.  Usually I'm on the receiving end of new music but with nothing but time on my hands, I thought I'd start giving just a little bit more.  Unfortunately, I won't be able to provide any actual music files, but I will (hopefully) be writing about what's coming through my Beats (by Dre, of course...yeah, I'm THAT cool) and maybe you'll find a new favorite song or two.

Not all of this music will be "brand spankin' new" nor will I ever claim to be the first to have "discovered" any of these tunes.  It will just be what I'm liking - sometimes even loving.

One more quick thing to mention...being that we're not always within close proximity of a record store, I've been purchasing a lot of music through iTunes.  It's convenient and provides instant musical gratification (i.e. click, give it a 2 Mississippi - enjoy!).  However, nothing (besides maybe picking up an album at the band's actual show) beats venturing into an old-fashioned record shop (no, I'm not talking about Sam and Goody) and flipping through hard copies in person.  Some great friends of ours own Ranch Records (Salem, McMinville, Bend) and I have to say, if you haven't taken the time to check them out in recent years, do it!  I popped into the downtown Salem location before heading over here last month.  The sense of nostalgia you get from seeing the album covers all lined up...I remember spending many 'o Walker Middle School half-days at Ranch.  I'm serious, if it's been that long since you've stopped by, go there!  And potentially pick up one of these great records...

ALBUMS


She & Him - A Very She & Him Christmas

It truly is the most wonderful tiiiiiiime of the year!  These guys can't help but ensure that.  Zooey Dechanel (I first met her in Elf) and M. Ward (a Portland legend) put such a unique twist on classic Christmas tunes.  Buy it for your next holiday party.  You won't be disappointed.  While you're at it, make it a perfect trilogy and purchase She & Him Volume One and Volume Two.  You're just going to love this band's sound, I'm telling you!


Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto

Yeah, it's Coldplay.  This album sounds exactly...like...Coldplay.  I almost didn't buy it, thinking to myself do I really need ANOTHER Coldplay record?  The answer was yes, yes you do, Chelsie.  Go get it.  Don't wait till you get back to your house to play it either.  Pop it immediately in your CD player and jam out as you drive home in the rain.


Blitzen Trapper - Furr

Aaron Jones introduced me to these guys a couple of years ago.  One of the many reasons I love that man.  This seems like the optimal season to bust out this record.  Press play and grab a seat by the fire after hot toddy or two...hopefully your extended family will have already left so as not to harsh your mellow...




SONGS

Mark Erelli - Delivered
I'm going to start teaching yoga again was on the hunt for relaxing savasana-worthy tunes.  This one certainly made the cut. (the song starts at 3 minutes, 10 seconds in)




Roisin Murphy - Ruby Blue
I don't even remember where I heard this for the first time...that's a lie...I was totally cyber-stalking this chick who made a dumb video I had heard about...the quality of the documentary fell somewhere between "lame" and "oh, no she di'nt" but that is neither here nor there.  Anyway, it's got a catchy sound.  Clapping in songs always gets me.  I like to listen to it on the stairstepper.  Don't judge!


Kelly Rowland - Motivation
Another gym song.  When the first words sung are "Go, go go, go..." you know you have a song you can sweat to.  I've loved Kelly since back in her D Child days.  This collaboration with Lil Wayne gives me (don't say it, Chels! you're better than that!)...motivation.  "Rain on my head, call it brainstormin."  I mean, come on!  The man is talented beyond belief.  But this video, I should warn you, aint one for the kiddies.  Birky, tell Pearson to close her little eyes for the next 4 minutes and 22 seconds.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment