Monday, December 12, 2011

Music Monday

Is it already Music Monday again?  Sheesh, I feel like I just uploaded last week's post!

Hope everyone had a nice, little weekend.  Ours was pretty fantastic.  Michael's team won their game on Saturday (in overtime...by 1 point, I should add), so the coach rewarded them with 2 whole days off!  This, my friends, is practically unheard of.  I'm not sure that Mike managed to get a single day off more than just a couple of times last season.  Trust that we broke a new world record in laziness and enjoyed not having anything to do for 48 hours.

I decided to spend the last $5 of my iTunes credit today (thanks again, Julie!!).  It's a pretty random pairing but all 5 songs were immediately added to my ipod and will be sure to get some play on my long run tomorrow.

Shake it Out - Florence + The Machine
Boy - Ra Ra Riot
Keep the Car Running - Arcade Fire
Ni**as in Paris - Kanye West & JAY Z
It Is Well With My Soul - Daniel Martin Moore

The last song is particularly special to me.  This guy's version of a (some might say) boring hymn is incredible.  I was watching an episode of Parenthood last week (who else is watching this show??  I don't know what it is...my adoration for Lauren Graham, my fondness of Dax Shephard or perhaps my obsession with Craig T. Nelson...whatever it may be, this show is legit) and this song came on during a fairly touching scene.  I mean, the scene was good, but it was certainly not worthy of the tears that rolled down my face - the music was what got to me.  Isn't it crazy when that happens?  Anyway, it's one of my mom's favorite songs and we decided to play it at my grandpa's funeral last fall.

If you've got a few minutes to spare, you really should listen to it (below).

While I could focus on the association it has with a sad and difficult week from last October, I'm somehow comforted and inspired by it instead.  I'm not sure exactly what it is about it.  Maybe it's that listening to it makes me feel close to my mom.  Maybe it's because at 28 I feel like I've finally hit my stride and the great days far outnumber the shitty ones.  Somehow, despite being separated from anyone/everyone that truly matters to us, existing in a world that's a huge, sloppy mess, where nothing is guaranteed and most everything is temporary, I got to wake up next to the love of my life again this morning.  I have my health.  I have a passion for this here life of mine.  It is well with my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment